Anthrax shots suck!

On Friday we had a three mile road march with our IBA and Weapons. Luckily it wasn't timed and we didn't have to do it in formation. I am the second shortest person in the unit, so I have really small strides. It took me an hour and 20 minutes to finish. I just took my time. Normally on the PT test I walk 2.5 miles in 35 minutes. But I was in no rush to finish with a 17 pound vest and 8 pound weapon. To top off the day we got anthrax shots. It was my first one in a series on 6 shots. Let me tell you it feels like they are trying to kill me or something! The actual shot didn't hurt, I could barely feel the need go in. about 20 seconds after I got the shot my arm felt like it was on fire! That only lasted for about 2 minutes and then I was good to go, until yesterday. I looked at the spot where I got the shot and it is a huge bump and red spot there. It is also really sore. I swear I also felt like I had a rapid heart beat all day yesterday. I talked one of my other friends today and they said their arm is just like mine and it hurts. I don't feel very confident about this shot, so I did a little Google research. I came across an article about an Officer in the military that developed blood clots in his legs and lungs from getting the anthrax shot!

Of course the center for disease control says that the Anthrax shot has side effects just like all vaccines, but honestly in my whole military career and all the shots I have received, I have never had a side effect like this.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) these are some common reported side effects and their frequency:

-Soreness, redness, or itching where the shot was given (about 1 out of 10 men, about 1 out of 6 women) I've got this one. I know 2 out of the 10 females that got this shot with me have these symptoms, I'll have to ask the others
-A lump where the shot was given (about 1 person out of 2) yup i have this one too
-Muscle aches or joint aches (about 1 person out of 5) yes but I am not sure if it is from the shot or from wearing a 17 Armored Vest for a week straight
-Headaches (about 1 person out of 5) I already have a history of migraines so how can I tell what it is from
-Fatigue (about 1 out of 15 men, about 1 out of 6 women) again I have been working a lot the past two weeks
-Chills or fever (about 1 person out of 20)
Nausea (about 1 person out of 20) Hmm well the day I got this I threw up, but we also had an end of training therapy session at the bar, so that could have been from the vodka

And on top of that I had to have blood drawn, because the army doctors conveniently lost the HIV test I had done less then a year ago and I have a big bruise on my arm from that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Livros e Revistas, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://livros-e-revistas.blogspot.com. A hug.
Anonymous said…
Just got my 6th Anthrax shot yesterday in preparation for yet another deployment. I get those same symptoms every time, and they never get any better! Your description is dead on! Problem is I forget how long this lasts!

Great blog, by the way!

ZelieDad
Anonymous said…
I got out of the Army in 2004 after doing a year in Iraq. While I was in I recieved I think about 4 or 5 of the antrax shots and never had any symptons from them that I know of. I am however concerned of the long term side of it. What happens when I get older. getting the anthrax shot is a whole string of it that you get. I did not recieve the whole set of shots so what happens, am I not immune to anthrax now that I never complted the shots or what. I tried contacting VA clinic about this and asked more or less just about any thing weird that could happen when I reach older age as I am in my thirties now. Of course I never got an answer and they hung up on me due to me not wanting to make an appointment for a physical.
gary said…
having deployed already to iraq in 06 i am wondering why i have such back pains and easily pulled muscle pains and tighting around my knee. i never had such aches before. it may be normal for some. but i never had this stuff before. could it be related to anthrax shots . also i get this feeling of panic attacks when there is nothing going on. can someone one identify with this. please let me know.
Anonymous said…
concerned girlfriend....

Well, my boyfriend just got his first anthrax shot, because he is about to deploy to Iraq. And he is experiencing symptoms of swolen tonsils and epigladis. He can barely eat and he can't talk that well because of the shot. These symptoms wern't on your syptoms list..soo i was wondering what was going on.
Unknown said…
Hi, I'm in the USAF Auxiliary (Civil Air Patrol). Even though I am a Cadet, I wan't to get my Anthrax Shot so I would already have it. But your explanation of your arm feeling on Fire, Is it a Bearable Feeling or do you feel like your about to die? Yes that question may sound stupid, but I want to know what I am going to feel.

-C/A1C S. Lunsford, CAP
Martinsburg Composite Squadron
Stationed: 167th "Airlift" ANG
United States Air Force Auxiliary
Carol said…
Hello. I am currently fighting the VA because of the bumps that are still on my arms years after receiving the Anthrax vaccine. Please make sure you get it documented in your medical record.
Nicole said…
I just got my shot the other day too. They didn't update their records of my past three shots so I basically have to start all over. (Yup, go Army).

I'm currently deployed and was playing volleyball out in the sand today. After a couple of serves my arm was KILLING ME!! I was like, DANG what is going ON!? Tonight I can't lift my arm over my head even if I wanted too.

Anthrax shots are rough. We usually do push-ups after getting them to let it circulate faster so that it doesn't hurt your arm as much. Well, so our medics say.

Popular posts from this blog

The M2 .50 Caliber Machine Gun

Spinning away!!