The M2 .50 Caliber Machine Gun

Yeah I did it. Today I got to learn to break down, put together and Engage targets with the M2 50 Caliber Machine Gun (nicknamed the Ma Deuce). These weapons are usually the ones you'll see mounted on a HUMVEE during convoys in the desert. Again this was mt first time, seeing, touching and firing this weapon. Let me give you some background. It Weighs 84 pounds (I'm 112), It's 65 inches long (I'm 61.5 inches). So I thought the charging handle on the M249 was bad, this was worse. I had to put both feet on the tripod and pull back the charging handle with both hands and that was still a struggle. Taking it a part wasn't many steps, but the bolt was heavy and you had to use a lot of strength to put the spring back in. So when I finally got to the simulator to fire it, I had pretty tight shot groups, but my contacts kept moving around in my eyes and they got so blurry at the end that I couldn't see the targets. This weapon gets 119 rounds to qualify and you need to get at 84 to pass. On my first attempt I got 78! I had to struggle to hold the weapon up so that I could reach the lower targets. I took a few hour break and attempted to qualify a second time. I came up with 79!! Ah so frustrating. My body could not take anymore. So I guess I'll try again tomorrow. Wish me better luck.

Comments

Anonymous said…
BM3, U.S Navy here. I used to handle Dual M2HB turret on the fantail of my ship. There's a technique w/ the charging handle. if you weight over 90 lbs u shouldn't have any problem. basically level the gun with ground, stand back, reach your arm straight out, get a good grip on the charging handle, take half a step back, then pull with your upper body's weight. it's almost effortless.
Anonymous said…
Oh didn't read thoroughly. A bit harder on the tripods, but u can just give it a quick pull-back with combined strength of your arm, shoulder and waist. don't sprain yourself though, good luck.

Popular posts from this blog

Anthrax shots suck!

Spinning away!!